Friday, June 20, 2008

How people change......for better or worse?!?

Really thank God for a ' light' ward work for now...... even have time to study for my exams during working hours! ( this has NEVER happened for me before!!) Anyway.......can only thank Him for his grace and provision of time....

However, was sorely disappointed at working with a particular senior at work...let's call that person X ......I have known X since I was in secondary school.... X was a few years my senior and a close friend of my Youth group's president.... used to held X in esteem (X was known to be smart, mebbe a bit of a geek) as X was also known to have a heart of gold and loved kids....X would dress up as a clown at Sunday school to entertain the children!! But what a different X I saw at work!! All X could say was about work, exams and what awards he/she received since coming to work here !! How shallow! How disappointing!

It was really amazing (in a bad way of course!) how working in this country can change you....in a subtle way that one doesn't even realise it.....how one gets caught up in the rat race and paper chase....of how everything we do is just a mean to a particular end...in this case - the work we do, the hours we put in, the exams we take - is all for the sake of promotions and exiting as a registrar ( and mebbe hopefully to enter into the world of private practice!!) .... How sad! How easily we allow the weeds of this world to choke our faith in God!.....

This became more apparent when this particular Youth group president ( the friend of X) started contacting me through FB ..... his ideals of my profession and the nobility of my profession put me in shame.... made it worst by my realisation of what his good friend X has become in this profession after practising in this country .........

Lord, I pray that You will always remind me why I stepped into this profession...help me never to forget why I chose this line of duty in life....help me to see how I can become Your eyes/ hands and feet to the sick/ hurting people out there through what I do in my vocation...... help me never to become so caught up in the rat race that I forsake my faith/ ethics/ belief in You! Help me to pray and challenge those Christians ( or so called Christians ) at work to impact our society and workplace for You!! Teach me what it means to be Your salt and light in this world!!!

No comments: